Winter brings it share of viruses which make us feel sick and miserable. Cold, coughs and flu make many people feel under the weather throughout the world every year and results in loss of productive hours. Using the below steps, we can vastly increase our immunity and reduce the chances of catching the virus. In case we end up getting sick, they will reduce the duration of sickness and make us feel better sooner.
- Increase Vitamin D: It has been proven that getting sufficient Vitamin D improves the immunity. So ensure that you spend some time in the sun every day.
- Reduce sugar – Among other ill effects of sugar, it also reduces the immunity. Reduce the sugar intake or remove it altogether from your diet if possible.
- Eat garlic – Garlic is a powerful anti-viral. Introduce it in small quantities in your diet. Another way is to chop it finely and swallow them. You could do that when your stomach is full. If you are averse to its smell, try the garlic capsules.
- Get enough sleep – This is a no brainer. Getting enough sleep vastly improves your body defenses.
- Exercise moderately – If you have been exercising heavily, reduce it to moderate intensity during the flu season. Our bodies are vulnerable to catch the virus after heavy exercise. If you have not been exercising at all, it is always a good idea to start exercising irrespective of the season.
- Increase Vitamin C – Good sources of vitamin C are oranges, lemon, Indian gooseberry (Amla), etc.