Max Protein Bar, manufactured by RiteBite is one of the earliest protein bars available in India and caters to this growing protein market. I decided to try the Choco Slim variety. It has 20g of protein and it seemed like a nice protein filled food for my mid afternoon snack.
Some facts about Max Protein Bar
- 20g of protein
- High fiber content from wheat fiber
- Completely vegetarian
- 258 calories
- 9g of sugar from fructose probably. Added sugar is zero.
- It has electrolytes, Omega 3 and prebiotic
- It is available in four different flavors:
Choco Slim has 14g net carbs and Choco Fudge has 27g net carbs
- Decent amount of protein per serving
- Tastes crunchy and like whey protein in chocolate flavor. It is made of little round pellets. Bit sweet but not overly sweet.
- It has an alternative sweetener called Fructo Oligo Sacchride (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructooligosaccharide). Although it has no alarming side effects, it seems to cause gas and bloating. I experienced this too albeit very mild and after about 4 hours of eating the bar.
- One of the protein sources is soy protein, which is supposed to promote estrogen hormone in men.
Price: Rs.110 per bar. A pack of 6 bars costs Rs.520 on Amazon.
Max Protein bar is easy to carry on a travel or for a trekking trip. In addition, if you are in hurry, you can grab one of these bars to complete the protein intake. For everyday protein needs, I would still prefer natural proteins such as eggs or my usual whey powder, which has no sugar/fructose.