Which is the exercise that
- Does not need any equipment
- Could be done in most places and does not need specific infrastructure
- Does not need any training or supervision
- People of all ages can do
- Has low impact on the joints
This simplest exercise is walking!
Although the fitness enthusiasts in the world have moved to many advanced workout routines, simplicity has still a place in our lives. We cannot underestimate the benefits of a humble physical activity such as walking. This is in fact a great first step for someone who has not been exercising for many years or has been leading a mostly sedentary lifestyle. You can reap many benefits by walking for just 30 minutes a day.
You can consider using a smartphone app or a fitness band to keep track of the distance or the number of steps. These will be useful to keep you motivated. In fact, some health clubs have been formed who share the distance/steps statistics and encourage each other. Take your partner along and the time spent walking together will help your relationship along with boosting your health. Health benefits of walking are:
- Walking in open air or in a park will provide lots of fresh oxygen and Vitamin D from the sun.
- Improves the muscle tone of legs
- Burns fat very effectively
- Reduces the risk of heart disease
If you need some more challenge:
- Increase the speed gradually
- Walk uphill
- Use ankle weights or something similar to provide resistance training effect
- Wear the right pair of shoes
- If you live in a place with hot weather, make sure that you carry a bottle of water and keeping drinking it occasionally.
- Wear comfortable light clothing.
- If you like listening to music while walking then be mindful of the traffic.
What do you like about walking as an exercise? I would love to hear your comments.